1960 Hillman Husky Series 1
My aluminum grill doesn't look very good. I was going to get it chromed but it was too pitted. Since this picture was taken I replaced the aluminum grill with a steel grill. Superior chrome handled all my plating needs.
This was the plate that was on the car when I got it. It was in bad shape so was restored by Darryl's License Plate Restoration in PA. The results of his restoration are impressive.
The BF Goodrich 215/70/15 radials fit nicely and are filled with Dyna Beads for a smooth ride. I had the original wheels widened to 5 inches. Since this picture was taken I've updated the wheels to a brighter red. BRF Spray in Santa Clara did all my powder coating. Wheel studs were replaced with ARP racing studs. Stainless steel exhaust exits just in front of the rear wheels. This makes for a loud car. I eventually plan on rerouting the exhaust out the back of the car.....just not sure how to do it yet.
This is my dad driving the Husky to the 2004 Taste of Morgan Hill Car Show.
I modified the Tiger steering column to accept the original Husky steering wheel. I filled in the cracks with PC-7 epoxy and painted it the same color as the car. 2 years later it still looks good. The knob marked "S" is the pull starter. The headlights and the ignition key are in the same switch. I've added a dummy choke knob on the other side to make it symmetrical.
Shifter is a stock Mustang piece.
I found the radio console in a junk yard in Fresno. It houses my radio, original Hillman clock, cigarette lighter, and knobs for the Vintage Air heater and defroster. The black knob will be replaced with a matching silver knob. I was testing different types of knobs. I installed a combination oil pressure/ water temperature gauge in place of the original Husky water gauge. If you look carefully at the different pictures you can see the minute hand on the clock has moved. It works!
Seats were done by Martha Christensen of Pro-Prep Interiors. We were able to find the original pinpoint material for the headliner. It's the same material that is used on Sunbeam Tiger and Alpine sun visors. Martha made the headliner and I installed it.
Lots of headroom although you need to duck down a little since the windshield is so small. I found an NOS windshield from Pilkington Classics. At the time it was the last one in the country but they now have them in stock again. Part number if FW10 for those that are looking for one. The later Huskys have a bigger windshield.
I ditched the old lever shocks and added a set of Koni shocks in the back. I also added a pan hard rod from a Sunbeam Tiger to control side to side movement of the rear axle.
The shock cross member was a generic piece I got from Chris Alston's Chassisworks. You just cut it to length and then weld on the tabs that hold the shock.
Koni part number is 80 1350. Listed for use on VW Beetle, bus etc.